The Frank
Home
Today's Fastrack
About
Subscribe
FCC Approves $8B Paramount-Skydance Merger

FCC Approves $8B Paramount-Skydance Merger

author
author

The Frank Staff

The Frank Staff.
[email protected]
@TheFrank_com
The Frank Staff
author

The Frank Staff

The Frank Staff.
[email protected]
@TheFrank_com

Jul 25, 2025

·

0 min read

Share options

Email
Facebook
X
Telegram
WhatsApp
Reddit

The Federal Communications Commission cleared the way Thursday for an $8 billion merger between Paramount and Skydance Media.

The deal, which was announced more than a year ago, includes the CBS broadcast television network, Paramount Pictures and the Nickelodeon channel.

“Americans no longer trust the legacy national news media to report fully, accurately, and fairly,” Brendan Carr, chairman of the FCC, wrote in a statement Thursday. “It is time for a change. That is why I welcome Skydance’s commitment to make significant changes at the once storied CBS broadcast network.”

Carr said Skydance had made written commitments to ensure the new company’s programing would have a diversity of viewpoints across the political and ideological spectrum. Skydance also said it would hire a third-party impartial outsider to report to the president of the new company to evaluate complaints of bias.

The FCC chairman noted that Skydance does not have any DEI programs in place and has agreed not to establish any such initiatives at the new company.

Paramount chair Shari Redstone is set to depart the company’s board once the Skydance merger is complete. Her family’s company National Amusements is selling its controlling stake in Paramount to Skydance.

Skydance is owned by David Ellison, the soun of Oracle founder and billionaire Larry Ellison.

The decision by the FCC to greenlight the merger was not unanimous. Commissioner Anna Gomez, the lone Democrat on the three-person commission, opposed the move, saying she was troubled by Paramount’s recent payment to settle a suit brought by President Donald Trump against CBS’s “60 Minutes.”

“The Paramount payout and this reckless approval have emboldened those who believe the government can — and should-abuse its power to extract financial and ideological concessions, demand favored treatment, and secure positive media coverage,” she wrote in a dissent statement.

The FCC’s ruling comes less than a month after Paramount agreed to pay $16 million to Trump after he sued the company over the editing of a “60 Minutes” interview with former Vice President Kamala Harris. It also occurred a week after CBS announced it was canceling “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.”

Colbert had called the settlement a “big fat bribe” during one of his monologues last week, referencing the $8.4 billion pending merger between Paramount and Skydance Media, which required the approval of the Trump administration to proceed.

At the time, Paramount and CBS executives released a statement saying the cancellation was “purely a financial decision against the challenging backdrop in late night.”

However, the timing of its decision has been called into question by a number of political figures and Hollywood trade groups.

The Writer’s Guild of America asked New York State Attorney Letitia James to join California and launch an investigation into potential wrongdoing at Paramount.

“Cancelations are part of the business, but a corporation terminating a show in bad faith due to explicit or implicit political pressure is dangerous and unacceptable in a democratic society,” the WGA wrote in a statement last week. “Paramount’s decision comes against a backdrop of relentless attacks on a free press by President Trump, through lawsuits against CBS and ABC, threatened litigation of media organizations with critical coverage, and the unconscionable defunding of PBS and NPR.”

Democratic Senators Adam Schiff, of California, and Elizabeth Warren, of Massachusetts, also questioned the deal.

“Was it a coincidence that CBS canceled Colbert just three days after he spoke out?” Warren wrote in an op-ed for Variety published Wednesday. “Are we sure that this wasn’t part of a wink-wink deal between the president and a giant corporation that needed something from his administration?”

Share options

Email
Facebook
X
Telegram
WhatsApp
Reddit

Clintons Agree to Testify in Epstein Probe

Feb 3, 2026

2 min

India Drops Russian Oil; Trump Slashes Tariffs

Feb 3, 2026

2 min

Dem Flips Deep-Red Texas Senate Seat

Feb 3, 2026

2 min

CBS News Weighs Firing Attia Over Epstein Emails

Feb 3, 2026

1 min

Emails: Epstein Had a Secret Child

Feb 3, 2026

3 min

Emails: Melania Praised Epstein Article to Maxwell

Feb 3, 2026

2 min

Billie Eilish Blasted for "Fuck ICE" Speech

Feb 3, 2026

1 min

TODAY Anchor Savannah Guthrie’s Mom Likely Abducted

Feb 3, 2026

2 min

Judge Refuses to Halt ICE Operation in MN

Feb 1, 2026

2 min

Senate Passes $1.2T Govt Funding Deal

Feb 1, 2026

4 min

US, Israel Deny Role in Deadly Iran Blasts

Feb 1, 2026

1 min

Ghislaine: 29 Epstein Friends Cut Secret Deals

Feb 1, 2026

2 min

Epstein Photo: Andrew on All Fours Over Woman

Feb 1, 2026

2 min

Judge Blocks Trump’s Citizenship Voting Rules

Feb 1, 2026

2 min

Moltbook: The Social Network Where Humans Can’t Post

Feb 1, 2026

3 min

Detransitioner Wins $2M in Historic Malpractice Verdict

Feb 1, 2026

2 min

Feds Arrest Don Lemon Over MN Church Protest

Jan 30, 2026

2 min

DOJ Releases 3M Epstein File Pages

Jan 30, 2026

5 min

Trump Taps Kevin Warsh for Fed Chair

Jan 30, 2026

6 min

Partial Shutdown Likely Tonight Despite Senate Deal

Jan 30, 2026

2 min

  • Today's Fastrack
  • About
  • Contact
  • Policy & Terms
  • Recaptcha