Trump Agrees to Partially Fund SNAP
Trump Agrees to Partially Fund SNAP
The Trump administration on Monday agreed to move billions of emergency dollars to partially pay for food aid this month in response to a federal judge’s order, though some families may not receive benefits for weeks.
Officials will use $4.65 billion from USDA’s contingency fund to support roughly half of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program participants’ “current allotments” as the shutdown drags on, according to a new legal filing.
USDA said the plan will leave no money for any new SNAP applicants who applied for the program in November. The administration also refused to tap other funds — like one that holds unused tariff revenue dedicated to child nutrition programs — in order to match the full $8 billion that’s needed for SNAP benefits.
“Section 32 Child Nutrition Program funds are not a contingency fund for SNAP,” wrote Patrick Penn, USDA deputy undersecretary for Food and Nutrition Services in a statement to the court. “Using billions of dollars from Child Nutrition for SNAP would leave an unprecedented gap in Child Nutrition funding that Congress has never had to fill with annual appropriations, and USDA cannot predict what Congress will do under these circumstances.”
SNAP, which serves nearly 42 million Americans, ran out of federal funding for the first time in history last weekend, leaving states, food banks and nonprofit organizations scrambling to fill in the gap.
A federal judge in Rhode Island on Friday ordered officials to keep the nation’s largest anti-hunger program funded during the shutdown. Lawyers for the government previously argued in court that it lacked authority to tap its contingency fund for SNAP and that distributing partial benefits would result in a collapse of the administrative system.
Even with the administration’s reversal, USDA asserts in Monday’s filing that it could still take weeks, and in some states, months for families to receive the reduced benefits.
“For at least some States, USDA’s understanding is that the system changes States must implement to provide the reduced benefit amounts will take anywhere from a few weeks to up to several months,” Penn wrote.
Democracy Forward President and CEO Skye Perryman, a co-counsel on the Rhode Island lawsuit, said in a statement Monday that her organization is “considering all legal options to secure payment of full funds.”
USDA on Friday separately sent a $450 million cash infusion of Section 32 funds to support a nutrition program serving low-income women and children, just before the Nov. 1 funding cliff.
Clintons Agree to Testify in Epstein Probe
Feb 3, 2026
2 min
India Drops Russian Oil; Trump Slashes Tariffs
Feb 3, 2026
2 min
Dem Flips Deep-Red Texas Senate Seat
Feb 3, 2026
2 min
CBS News Weighs Firing Attia Over Epstein Emails
Feb 3, 2026
1 min
Emails: Epstein Had a Secret Child
Feb 3, 2026
3 min
Emails: Melania Praised Epstein Article to Maxwell
Feb 3, 2026
2 min
Billie Eilish Blasted for "Fuck ICE" Speech
Feb 3, 2026
1 min
TODAY Anchor Savannah Guthrie’s Mom Likely Abducted
Feb 3, 2026
2 min
Judge Refuses to Halt ICE Operation in MN
Feb 1, 2026
2 min
Senate Passes $1.2T Govt Funding Deal
Feb 1, 2026
4 min
US, Israel Deny Role in Deadly Iran Blasts
Feb 1, 2026
1 min
Ghislaine: 29 Epstein Friends Cut Secret Deals
Feb 1, 2026
2 min
Epstein Photo: Andrew on All Fours Over Woman
Feb 1, 2026
2 min
Judge Blocks Trump’s Citizenship Voting Rules
Feb 1, 2026
2 min
Moltbook: The Social Network Where Humans Can’t Post
Feb 1, 2026
3 min
Detransitioner Wins $2M in Historic Malpractice Verdict
Feb 1, 2026
2 min
Feds Arrest Don Lemon Over MN Church Protest
Jan 30, 2026
2 min
DOJ Releases 3M Epstein File Pages
Jan 30, 2026
5 min
Trump Taps Kevin Warsh for Fed Chair
Jan 30, 2026
6 min
Partial Shutdown Likely Tonight Despite Senate Deal
Jan 30, 2026
2 min

